Sunday, March 07, 2010

Sweet Southern Comfort

A while ago I subscribed to the magazine Southern Living in an attempt to "rescue" my SkyMiles from expiring. While the incitement was less than pleasing, I have always loved that magazine and look forward every month to a rekindling of my love for everything charmingly Southern. I must say that my yearning for silver mint julip cups is getting a little ridiculous-- they would just be the most fabulous decoration overflowing with gardenia or azalea blossoms :) I may need to move to the South here in the near future...

Every month there are tantalizing recipes. Today I finally tried Traditional (mama's way) lemon bars. In a word: delicious! Here is the recipe should you want to try it-- I would highly recommend it.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
powdered sugar
1. Preheat over to 350. Line bottom adn sides of a 13x9" pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil
2. Stir together 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned
4. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl until smooth; whisk in ganulated sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir together baking powder and remaining 1/4 cup flour; whisk into egg mixture. Pour mixture over hot baked crust.
5. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes of until filling is set. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Lift from pan, using foil sides as handles. Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove foil, and cut into bars; sprinkle with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

hmm they look WAY GOOD!

Suzannah said...

I'll have to try it. Lemon bars are Ben's favorite!

Hardman said...

soooo...you should have brought me some!!! Love ya!